Zip Line Racing Coming Soon!
Welcome to the new kind of adventure race! This one actually has adventure built into it, not that lame stuff that has popped up everywhere. EMPOWER’s Zipathlon Zip Line Racing is the ultimate in adventure racing. As far as we know, there has never been anything like this before! EMPOWER is revolutionizing the adventure race game by creating something so intense and unique that you will never look at those same old adventure races the same! This fitness race tests your strength, endurance, athleticism and mental toughness AS A TEAM and includes zip lining and rappelling obstacles! That’s right, teams comprised of 6 people will race head-to-head through different ground based challenges, zip lines and a rappelling station as fast as possible. Zipathlon’s challenges have obstacles that take place over a 5k distance. The obstacles include but are not limited to:
- • Two zip lines
- •A 55 foot rappel
- •Low crawl
- •Up and Over Wall
- •Lunge course
- •Team challenges
- •A scavenger hunt
- •More to be announced!
Zipathlons are NOT for everyone. If you are scared of heights and don’t think you could handle being 45-55 feet in the air, this race is NOT for you. If you aren’t crazy about jumping over the side of a platform 55 feet in the air and rappelling down to the ground, this race is certainly NOT for you. If you would rather just do it alone and not work with a team of like-minded individuals, this race is NOT for you. If you aren’t crazy about getting dirty this race is NOT for you. If you intend on skipping obstacles and cheating yourself, this race is definitely NOT for you.
However, if all of that sounds good to you, then we encourage you to get a team together and show us what you got!
Who: Ages 16 and up
Date: Sundays – July 14, 21, 28, August 4, 11, 18
Championship round on Sunday September 8th ($120 entry fee/team)
Each Sunday will have the following starting times:
- • 230pm
- • 330pm
- • 430pm
- • 530pm
Location: EMPOWER Leadership Sports & Adventure Center 2011 S Main St, Middletown CT 06457
Description: 5K adventure race where teams of 6 participants race head to head against each other. Teams finishing times will be recorded and the teams with the two fastest scores in each division will face off in a championship round on September 8th. The course is comprised of various obstacles and fitness exercises including mud crawl, lunges, up and over wall, zip lining, rappelling, team obstacles, a scavenger hunt and more.
Registration Prices (prices are for a team of 6 people):
- • Before June 1st $384
- • 30 days prior to your scheduled competition day $414
- • 3-4 weeks prior to competition day $444
- • 2-3 weeks prior to competition day $474
- • 1-2 weeks prior to competition day $504
- • Less than 7 days prior to competition day $534
- • Individuals signing up for EMPOWER “House” Teams $99
- • Add the “Value Package” for $189/team.
The Value Package includes: PowerAde, hot dog, hamburger, chips and t-shirt per person after the race and digital pictures of your team throughout the race. The Value Package must be purchased a minimum of 5 days ahead of time as a team. The package is not for sale to individuals. Individuals can buy food, t-shirts and pictures a la carte.
A la carte pricing:
- • Meal (hot dog, burger, chips, drink) $15/person
- • T-shirt $20/person
- • Pictures $10/person
What you need to do to compete:
- Find 5 other people and think of a really unique name. This race is for teams of 6 people – no more, no less. If you are an individual that can’t find 5 other people to compete with let us know and we can put you on one of the EMPOWER “House” teams.
- Pick a day and time from our racing schedule and call us to register.
- Choose a division to race in. Divisions are:
- • Beginner – never raced before, racing for the fun of it; not a gym person
- • Competitor – active lifestyle, likes to workout, ready for a challenge
- • High Speed – physically fit, racing to win! ready for the championship round
- Find time in your busy schedule to get in a workout or two prior to your event.
- Come to EMPOWER and try the zip lining ahead of time if you have never done it. Don’t be the reason your team loses by a tenth of a second. If you aren’t sure if you are afraid of heights, then you are. Practice, practice, practice.
- Arrive 45 minutes prior to your scheduled start time on the day of your race.
- Be warmed up and ready to rock the course.
- On GO – Kick butt!
- This race is conducted head-to-head against another team but you are racing for the fastest time in your division not to beat the other team. Each team’s time will be compared to all the other times in your division throughout the 6 week “season.” After the last race on August 18th, the teams with the two fastest times in each division will race again for all the marbles on September 8th.